You are here

Overview

Overview

SIS offers Grades 7 to 11 of the internationally renowned Ontario Secondary School curriculum by the Ontario (Canada) Ministry of Education. 

The School is inspected annually by the Ontario Ministry of Education and is authorised to grant credits leading to the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD), ranked amongst the most highly-recognised secondary school qualifications in the world, and accepted by top-tier universities worldwide. 

On completion of Grade 11, students are assured of their pathway to a myriad of options for post-secondary studies. This is largely owing to the programme’s flexibility, and more significantly, the global recognition of the Ontario curriculum standards, which enables students to pursue other pre-university programmes at educational institutions anywhere in the world. 

SIS recently has been granted the IB World School status and will be offering the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP) for Grades 11 and 12 starting January 2017. SIS students will have the opportunity to pursuing the IBDP upon completion of Grade 10.

 

The Progression Pathway


Assessment and Evaluation

The Ontario Programme
The curriculum focuses on students’ continuous development, with the vital parts of a student’s assessment and evaluation based on coursework throughout the semester. Final grades reflect a 70-30 distribution; 70% of the grade is determined by work completed during the course and the remaining 30% derived from final evaluation. This method allows for the learning development of each student to be formative – Assessment is cumulative, current and consistent. More importantly, this ensures students keep up-to-date with their scholastic responsibility, and students, parents and teachers can review ongoing strategies to meet a particular student's learning needs, and adapt different methods as and when the student’s needs evolves.

The IB Diploma Programme 
Similar to the Ontario Programme, the IBDP uses diagnostics, formative and summative assessments, self and peer evaluation, feedback from the teachers and differentiated instruction to guide students’ learning. However, unlike the OSSD, an IBDP student’s final mark is based upon externally-set exams and projects. More details on IBDP assessment here.

 

Why SIS  |  Brochure Download  |  SIS Video  |  Testimonials